Your water bill gives a breakdown of charges and usage that allows you to identify areas for potential cost savings. Although charges may vary by supplier and whether or not you have a water meter, the bill is fundamentally showing the same thing.
The standard tariff charges are comprised of these main costs:
- Water charges are on the amount of water used, based on your meter reading.
- Sewerage charges are for recycling all your used water and returning it back to rivers and seas. These charges only apply to your property if it is connected to, or drains into, the public sewer
- Drainage charge consists of a surface water and highway drainage charge for taking rainwater away from your property and public roads. These charges only apply if your property has a mains connection.
- Trade Effluent charge are for businesses that discharge liquid into sewers as a result of any production process that uses water. This includes liquid from washing or treating machinery but does not include regular kitchen and toilet waste.
Each of these also have a standing charge which is an annual charge covering services such as meter readings, sending bills and dealing with enquiries.
Why do I need to know?
Aside from knowing where you are spending your money, it is important for any business to know whether they have permission to discharge their waste in the sewer and if they are required to pay the trade effluent charges. As this is a legal requirement, failure to comply can have unwanted consequences to your business.
Pulse can help you avoid complications and provide advice in effectively managing trade effluent to make sure you are in compliance with the relevant laws.
Unmetered charges also consist of a water usage, wastewater and standing charges however this is calculated using the rateable value of your property as usage/wastage cannot be measured.
Our water procurement services ensure that you have the meter most suited for your business needs as well as handling any discrepancies directly with the supplier so your team can avoid the extra hassle.
We have provided a section of a sample bill below to show you have the charges above will be displayed.
- If you have any queries regarding your account or the bill, this number will be handy to quote to make it easier to find.
- The total amount of water supplied to you
- Charges for transporting used water into sewers
- Charges for removing rainwater off your property and roads
- Charges for disposing any liquid waste from your production into the sewers
- All charges vary depending on whether you have a water meter or not. With a meter, charges are based on your actual usage/wastage whereas without one, it is based on the rateable value of your property.